If you are a parent you are fully aware that if you kids are quiet, you need to be worried. Usually in my house this means a floor or child has been colored on with a magic marker, or there is a clogged drain and the bathroom may become a swimming pool if I don’t stop it.
All of these quiet incidences have been innocent. Except last night.
Last night for some reason I decided to do laundry. I never do laundry, but at this point I couldn’t act as if the hill of clothes in the hallway wasn’t growing. Nor that there were some questionable smells coming from that hill. For all I know that hill may have turned into a monster that eats socks.
Well like any other day I grabbed our Tide Pods. I love these things and they work for our clothes and cloth diapers.
Now I have heard stories about things going wrong with pods and kids getting into them. So my husband and I decided to keep them on a shelf in our closet in between use. This is the shelf I put the pods back on when going to fold laundry.
Well as folding laundry, the boys went into their room to play and were really quiet. Quiet enough I mentioned it to a fb friends about how I should worry. So I set my laundry down and went to check on them.
As I walked into the hallway it smelled like laundry soap, I saw the boys in their doorway. Lyam was not only covered in soap but had three broken soap pods in front of him and one in his mouth…broken open.
As I discovered this my husband walked right in the door. Who at that moment had a “what the heck did I just walk to” look on his face. We immediately washed Lyam off and collected pods. This is when I asked friends in a chat I was already in “do you bring them to the E.R.” In which their response was ” YES BRING HIM IN NOW!”
So we grabbed sippy cups and sped to Children’s hospital. When we arrived the nurse was already ready for our arrival ( we called a nurse line on the way). This was the point I realized that Lyam eating soap was way more serious than a ha-ha he got into soap.
After a work up and 2 hour observation Lyam was found to be OK to go home. He crawled away with just small little burns in his mouth ( irritation they called it), but is doing well.
Yet we learned a lot from last night.
If your child gets into the pods and has swallowed the soap get them to the ER right away. Usually once you clean the child up you notice the drooling and think oh they are fine. Yet within 10 to 20 mins from the incident the child can start to puke and then go unconscious due their tongue and throat swelling.
The tongue and throat can swell due to being chemically burned. This can land your child on a Ventilator to breath until these burns heal.
Also keep these pods far away from wondering babies and toddlers. Somewhere that even with a stool the child can’t get to them.
As for the Tide company, I will be writing a letter asking them to redesign the lid of the container. My toddler was not only able to open the container but he took the top off the container
As for the left over pods – they are in the trash, in a dumpster.